As a design professional, have you ever had difficulty specifying or recommending a fire pit? Were you ever confused about where to start? We’ve put together a list of questions so you know exactly what to consider on behalf of your client in order to maximize their satisfaction.
Who’s the fire pit for?
- The primary question is who ultimately will be interacting with the fire pit and how? If you are considering a lounge or a restaurant there are different considerations than an amenity or public space.
- Each county, province or state will have its own set of regulations permitting the use of gas appliances. This has become much more of a consideration within the last year across many provinces and states.
- There really are only three options: Natural gas, LP (liquefied petroleum) or propane. On occasion there can also be biofuel or ethanol. If there are issues as to where to run the gas line – a propane tank could be considered. Check if there are any considerations as to the running costs of the gas line though.
Some maintenance issues to consider
- Warranty issues – most commercial products need to last. Many products are just not suitable to withstand the test of time.
- Electronic issues – how to wire it for electronic start if necessary. Wall switch, timer or lock box. Manual lit can work – just depends on the staff.
- Glass shields and barriers might be a good option – and then again perhaps not. This is often a regulatory issue and not necessarily a safety issue. There are just as many issues with glass as there are no glass.
- Purpose of fire pit – Is it meant to serve as primarily a heating source, an aesthetic statement or to create ambience and atmosphere?
- Seating height – what seating is around the fire pit – what is the optimum height?
How will the elements interact with the fire pit and are its components robust enough to withstand wind, heat, rain, sleet and snow?
- Are fire pits within the budget of the client? How do you measure the quality of the fire pit?
More questions? Don’t be afraid to call Solus Fire and Water 1877 255 3146 or visit www.solusdecor.co.uk